Title: Dear Mr. You
Author: Mary-Louise Parker
Why Read:
In short: it's new (published Nov 2015), I have liked watching Mary-Louise Parker in the past, I love epistolary novels, and it's a good one. She's created a book where you don't know which of the letters is to a real person in her life or if they're made up (I don't know that much about her personal life, just a snippet of a story about the father of her first child), but it serves as a memoir of her life, despite all the letters being written to men.*
Particularly moving was the last letter in the book, "Dear Oyster Picker", which also explains why there's an oyster shell on the cover of the book. I found myself tearing up, as several letters in the book also brought. Highly recommended, especially if you have enjoyed memoirs in the past.
*One of the letters is written to a billy goat. Seriously. And it's good. Maybe the goat's not real either.
Particularly moving was the last letter in the book, "Dear Oyster Picker", which also explains why there's an oyster shell on the cover of the book. I found myself tearing up, as several letters in the book also brought. Highly recommended, especially if you have enjoyed memoirs in the past.
*One of the letters is written to a billy goat. Seriously. And it's good. Maybe the goat's not real either.
No comments:
Post a Comment